2018-2019 Undergraduate Scholarship Application
The Hellenic University Club of Philadelphia grants scholarships annually to students with outstanding academic qualifications and financial need. Applicants must be full-time students pursuing studies leading to a degree in an accredited four-year college, university or professional school, or high school seniors intending to pursue such studies. Applicants must be of Greek descent or students who are declared majors in Greek Studies (regardless of heritage), and U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents of Berks, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Lancaster, Lehigh, Montgomery, or Philadelphia counties in Pennsylvania; Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Gloucester, or Salem counties in New Jersey.
- Applicants must be enrolled in full-time undergraduate programs during the 2018-2019 academic year. They do not need to know which institution they will attend or what financial aid package they will receive to be eligible to apply for Hellenic University Club Scholarships.
- Recipients of Hellenic University Club Undergraduate Scholarships may not reapply for an undergraduate scholarship for three years.
Completed applications and supporting documents (one letter of recommendation, an essay, FAFSA Student Aid Report [if applicable], scholastic transcripts and standardized exam scores) as outlined below, must be received by Monday, April 2, 2018.
Instructions to Applicant
- Determine if you are eligible to apply for an Undergraduate Scholarship (see above). Review our 2018-2019 offerings at www.hucphiladelphia.org. Indicate which scholarship(s) you are applying for in question 13 of the application. Please note that several of the undergraduate scholarships have special eligibility requirements. See the scholarship descriptions and question 13 for more information.
- Complete and submit the online application below. Once you have completed and submitted the application, email the supporting documents (see below) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Send everything (except the letter of recommendation) in one email by April 2, 2018.
- Supporting Documents:
1. ESSAY: Submit a cohesive essay of one to two pages that addresses the following:
· Paideia is the ancient Greek word for education or learning. It exemplifies the pursuit of wisdom, reason, knowledge and excellence and is the ideal to which the Hellenic University Club of Philadelphia is dedicated. What role has Paideia played in your life thus far and how might it impact your future academic goals, aspirations and ultimately your professional career?
Please note that students applying for the Chios Liberation Memorial Scholarship or the Chios Society of Philadelphia “Koraes” Scholarship must submit an additional essay of no longer than one page:
· Describe the effect of your Chian roots on your life. Indicate the name(s) of your Chian parent(s) or grandparent(s), the name of the town they were born in, and whether you have ever visited Chios.
2. ACADEMIC TRANSCRIPTS & STANDARDIZED EXAM SCORES: High school seniors must submit all high school transcripts including SAT/ACT scores. First-year undergraduates must submit undergraduate transcripts as well as high school transcripts and SAT/ACT scores. Other undergraduates must submit all college/university transcripts. Email (or have your institutions email) all transcripts/exam scores to us. If your institution requires that it send paper transcripts directly to us, please have them sent to: Hellenic University Club of Philadelphia Scholarship Awards Committee, P.O. Box 42199, Philadelphia, PA 19101-2199.
3. LETTER OF RECOMMENDATION: Request one letter of recommendation on official letterhead from your guidance counselor, academic adviser, teacher or professor and ask them to email the letter to email@example.com. You will be able to provide their contact information in question 12.
4. FAFSA STUDENT AID REPORT: Some scholarships will require you to submit page 1 of your Student Aid Report (SAR) from FAFSA via email.
- Finalists selected by the Scholarship Awards Committee may be contacted for a personal interview. Please call us at 215-483-7440 or email us at HucScholarship@gmail.com if you have any questions or need further information.
Undergraduate Scholarship Application
Before proceeding, please review the eligibility requirements as described in the application instructions. Your application will not be considered if you do not fulfill these requirements.
* denotes a required question
Finalists selected by the Scholarship Awards Committee may be contacted for a personal interview. Please call us at 215-483-7440 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or need further information.