Welcome to the Hellenic university club of Philadelphia
HELLENIC UNIVERSITY CLUB OF PHILADELPHIA Announces 2017-18 Scholarship Winners,
Awarding More Than $45,000 to 15 Students
HUC Dinner Also Honored Past Scholarship Recipient Who Won Global Health Technology Competition
Philadelphia, PA, (June 2, 2017) – Scholarship awards for Greek-American college/university students from the greater Philadelphia region were announced yesterday by the Hellenic University Club of Philadelphia (HUC). Fifteen students were awarded scholarship grants totaling $45,000 during the club’s annual Scholarship Awards Dinner at The Radnor Hotel in St. David’s, PA.
“Enabling young Greek-Americans to follow their academic pursuits is at the very core of the Hellenic University Club of Philadelphia,” said HUC president Katerina Dimitriadis. “We are thrilled to recognize their achievements and encourage them to fulfill their future promise.”
The 2017-2018 Hellenic University Club of Philadelphia Scholarship recipients include:
· Dorothy Hazan, University of Pennsylvania Law School
· Kristina Nikolova, Drexel University College of Medicine
· Ryan Alman, University of Pennsylvania School of Dental Medicine
· Joseph Antonakakis, Rutgers University
· John Pappas, Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
· Bill Beck, University of Pennsylvania
· Michael Pakuris, Archbishop Carroll High School
· Vasilios Ikonomou, Widener University
· Marlena Ruser, Upper Merion Area High School (King of Prussia)
· Anastasia Karras, Lehigh University
· Eleni Valavanis, Marple Newtown High School
· Harris Avgousti, Unionville High School
· Alexis Tsapralis, Drexel University
· Marjanna Smith, Lower Moreland High School
· Zackary Georgoulianos, Villanova University
About the HUC Scholarship Program
The HUC Scholarship Program is the largest scholarship initiative among all Greek-American organizations in the Philadelphia region. From HUC’sinception, the founders set a goal of establishing scholarships to aid Greek-American college and university students.
To date, the Hellenic University Club has awarded $710,000 in scholarship grant aid to 327 undergraduate and graduate students.
HUC Honors Dr. Constantine Harris
In addition to the scholarship recipients, HUC also honored Dr. Constantine F. Harris during the Awards Dinner.
Dr. Harris, a physician and medical researcher at the Center for Urologic Care of Berks County,recently won the top prize – along with his two brothers, George Harris and Dr. Basil Harris – in a global competition sponsored by the QualComm Foundation; 17 teams of research scientists were challenged to design an X-Prize Tricorder device (much like that seen in the original STAR TREK series).
The $2.6 million first prize will enable the Harris Brothers’ startup company, Basil Leaf Technologies, to continue developing their tricorder design. Named DxtER(pronounced DEXTER) this handheld mobile device will be capable of diagnosing and interpreting 15 medical conditions and capturing five vital health metrics – something vitally needed by millions of people living in remote regions of the world where health care is often very limited or unavailable.
Dr. Constantine F. Harris received a scholarship from the HUC in 1996. His younger brother, Dr. Basil Harris, received two scholarships from the Hellenic University Club, one in 1999 and again in 2000.